At Playmarket we give
plastics a second life
Worldwide production of plastic has skyrocketed in recent decades, until reaching nearly 400 million tonnes per year, according to UN data. The majority of this plastic is employed in the manufacture of single-use packaging that is then improperly discarded and pollutes our oceans.
Reducing the use of disposable plastics and recycling are small actions we can all take to care for the environment. At Playmarket we go one step further, giving the plastic packaging used to produce our products a second life.
How do we do it?
- Used plastic bottles are collected and classified at the recycling plant.
- Then, the tops and labels are removed and they are taken to the fabric factory.
- There, the plastic is shredded and melted to be turned into the thread used to make the fabrics.
- The bags for Playmarket carts are made with the resulting RPET, following the usual manufacturing process.
What are the benefits of RPET?
- RPET fabric is as sturdy and durable as virgin polyester.
- By using RPET, we take advantage of existing natural resources, and the amount of plastic waste that would end up in nature is reduced.
- C02 emissions in the manufacturing process are lowed because we manufacture more sustainably.
More sustainable day by day
As a company that is committed to the environment, every day we at Playmarket make an effort to optimise our working processes and lower our carbon footprint.
- Our products are designed to last. The quality of the materials used to manufacture them guarantees extraordinary sturdiness and durability.
- We provide replacement parts to lengthen our products’ lifecycle.
- In 2022 we used RPET fabric, which is made from recycled plastic bottles.
- We use biodegradable bags in order to lower the amount of plastic used in packaging until totally eliminating it by late 2022.
- In 2022, we installed solar panels in our facilities to generate our own electricity and lower C02 emissions.
- We have ISO 14001 Environmental Management certification.